Now that spring is here and the weather is warming up, it’s a great time to make the most of your apartment with a balcony. Altitude’s spacious balconies are longing to be turned into an outdoor oasis ideal for relaxing. With dozens of design options to consider, you really can’t go wrong. Follow these suggestions and you’ll soon be enjoying the outdoors from the comfort of your private balcony.
Make the Most of Your Space
One of the perks of living at Altitude is the sweeping views of the Boston skyline, the distant Atlantic Ocean, and even the foothills of New Hampshire. Lucky for you, you could enjoy this scenery right from your own personal balcony. As an extension of your apartment, your balcony affords you additional square footage that’s perfect for creating a tranquil outdoor area.
Whether you consider your design style to be minimalist, contemporary, traditional, or bohemian, creating the ultimate cozy outdoor space just takes a little planning.
- First, tailor your choices to the size of your space – don’t select overwhelming pieces or try to fit too much into a small area. Simple can be beautiful.
- Second, make sure that whatever décor you use can stand up to the elements and is mildew resistant.
- And lastly, if you’d like to incorporate plants, think carefully about which ones will flourish in your environment and will be easy to maintain with your lifestyle.
Transforming your balcony into the best lounge space requires a few key elements — some form of seating, a little bit of lighting, a couple of decorative touches, and maybe a plant or two.
- A small table and chairs offer a great place to sip your morning coffee or enjoy an al-fresco meal, but a simple bench or even some stools could work just as well. You could also consider using a wall-mounted shelf instead of a table to save space.
- Next, consider the lighting. String lights add a fun vibe, torches and candles can help keep bugs at bay, and lanterns provide a unique way to brighten up the space.
- Then, make comfort a priority by incorporating outdoor-specific textiles like a small rug or some throw pillows. This ups the comfy lounge factor and adds in a splash of color too.
- Finally, decide if you’d like to create a mini-garden with plants, flowers, or herbs to complete your balcony makeover. You have a number of options to choose from: a vertical wall garden, potted plants, hanging plants, or railing planters. Colorful flowers, like morning glories —which are said to bring peace and happiness to a space — will deliver an extra touch of vibrancy. If you go with potted herbs, you’ll appreciate the added benefit of using them to flavor a home cooked meal or mix into a drink. Plants can be just the right finishing touch to complete your balcony’s oasis feel.
Just think of all the ways you can enjoy your apartment with a balcony in the months to come.